Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Empathy


                In this video it talks about empathy, or putting yourself into someone else’s shoes to see things from their point of view. It talks about military, not just the United States military but different militaries all over the world and how there are a lot of different point of views out there. The speaker, Sam Richards, talks about how when Americans see a picture of American soldiers that captured some members of the enemy we, as Americans, are happy and rejoice in the fact that our enemy is captured. But if you are on the other side and some of your people are captured for maybe trying to protect you and your country and families, it is a sad thing but you would never know how they feel or understand if you didn’t put yourself in their situation. By putting yourself in their shoes you can understand both sides. He also gives the people a challenge, can they understand, not approve of, but understand what the other is going through.
                I can relate to this topic, being sociologically mindful, to friends and other people I know. If one of my friends is having a bad day I can put myself in their shoes and know how they feel. Another example is if you are at a funeral because someone you know had a family member pass away, put yourself in their shoes so you know how they feel. And that’s when the sympathy starts, because you now know how they feel and what they are going through.
                I see myself fitting into the big picture of society as a caring and friendly Christian trying to impact and better the lives of others around me on a day-to-day basis. I also pay tax, which in the long run, or bigger picture, helps our community to grow and better itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment